Willie Nelson, Brad Paisley Among ‘Johnny Cash: Forever Words’ Album Contributors
Johnny Cash was a prolific writer, and not just of songs. Some of the icon's unreleased poems and letters will see the light of day thanks to a new album, Johnny Cash: Forever Words.
Cash's son, John Carter Cash, and Steve Berkowitz served as producers for the project, talk of which began circulating last year. The group sifted through many of the country legend's handwritten letters, poems and documents penned throughout his lifetime. They then reached out to several artists inspired by the late singer to reinterpret what they found.
Country Music's Most Notable Love Stories
"Determining the artist for each song was truly a matter of the heart," Carter Cash says in a statement. "I picked the artists who are most connected with my father, who had a personal story that was connected with Dad. It became an exciting endeavor to go through these works, to put them together and present them to different people who could finish them in a way that I believed that Dad would have wanted."
Artists featured on the project include Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Brad Paisley, Ruston Kelly, Kacey Musgraves, and Alison Krauss, among others. The album was appropriately recorded at the Cash Cabin Studio in Hendersonville, Tenn., and serves as the musical companion to "Forever Words: The Unknown Poems," a volume of Cash's unpublished writing.
The album will be available on April 6.
Johnny Cash: Forever Words Track Listing:
1. "Forever/I Still Miss Someone" - Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
2. "To June This Morning" - Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves
3. "Gold All Over the Ground" - Brad Paisley
4. "You Never Knew My Mind" - Chris Cornell
5. "The Captain's Daughter" - Alison Krauss and Union Station
6. "Jellico Coal Man" - T. Bone Burnett
7. "The Walking Wounded" - Rosanne Cash
8. "Them Double Blues" - John Mellencamp
9. "Body on Body" - Jewel
10. "I'll Still Love You" - Elvis Costello
11. "June's Sundown" - Carlene Carter
12. "He Bore It All" - Daily and Vincent
13. "Chinky Pin Hill" - I'm With Her
14. "Goin', Goin', Gone" - Robert Glasper featuring Ro James, and Anu Sun
15. "What Would I Dreamer Do?" - The Jayhawks
16. "Spirit Rider" – Jamey Johnson
Country Singers Who Were Blacklisted