Amarillo real estate has a rich history, and it's great to see homes still standing from the early days of Amarillo.

Get our free mobile app

One of those homes is the Smith-Rogers House.  This beautiful house hasn't always been at its current location.  It once had another address.

Smith-Rogers Home

Lori Crofford
Lori Crofford
loading...

The Smith-Rogers Home is a historical house that is recognized as a Texas Historical Landmark.  According to the marker:

This house was built for early Amarillo settlers James Bynum and Marie Lowery Smith c. 1904, and was originally located at 1101 South Taylor Street. The home was purchased in 1945 by Jesse A. Rogers, who planned to move his car dealership to the site. Instead of razing the house, he had it moved to its present site to serve as his family’s home. At the time of its relocation, architect C.W. Brott made changes to the original design. The classical revival style house now features leaded glass windows, roof cresting and interior woodwork from the 1900s and brick veneer, balustrades and full-height columns from the 1940s.

The home that has been at its current address at 4841 SW 9th Avenue since 1945 is currently for sale.

The home is Classical Revival style, and features leaded glass windows, roof cresting, and gorgeous woodwork throughout the home from the 1900s.  The front of the home has beautiful columns.  When you enter the home you are welcomed with an amazing staircase that takes you up to the second floor.

Sabre Cofer via Exp Realty
Sabre Cofer via Exp Realty
loading...

The home includes 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a basement, and a detached 2-car garage with a 1 bedroom, 1 bath apartment above the garage.

The home has its original hardwood floors. The outside area is beautiful with a greenhouse, an area for a garden, a pond, and a beautiful terrace.

This would be a perfect home for a large family, or perfect for a bed and breakfast or wedding/event venue.

The home is currently listed for $945,000 and is listed by Sabre Cofer with EXP Realty.

Historical Smith-Rogers Home in Amarillo

The Smith-Rogers home was originally built in 1904 by Amarillo settlers James Bynum and Marie Lowery Smith. The home was located at 1101 S. Taylor. It was moved to its current location 4841 SW 9th Avenue in 1945 by then-owner Jesse A. Rogers.

The home has 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, on 1.16 acres. The home includes a detached 2-car garage with a 1 bedroom/1 bath apartment.

It is a a Texas Historical Landmark and the marker reads:

"This house was built for early Amarillo settlers James Bynum and Marie Lowery Smith c. 1904, and was originally located at 1101 South Taylor Street. The home was purchased in 1945 by Jesse A. Rogers, who planned to move his car dealership to the site. Instead of razing the house, he had it moved to its present site to serve as his family’s home. At the time of its relocation, architect C.W. Brott made changes to the original design. The classical revival style house now features leaded glass windows, roof cresting and interior woodwork from the 1900s and brick veneer, balustrades and full-height columns from the 1940s."

The home was on the market in October 2023 and listed for $945,000 by Sabre Cofer with EXP Realty


Gallery Credit: Lori Crofford

More From 101.9 The Bull