Star Wars Day Coming to the Don Harrington Discovery Center
Can you believe we're already getting into May? Yep 2021 is going faster than the Millennium Falcon doing the Kessel Run in 20 Parsecs. Yes this is going to be a star wars article and I'm not exactly a junkie but I could help you get around the wretched hive of scum and villany that is Mos Eisley Spaceport
Now if you happen to be Star Wars fan, May 4th is a special day. There's not a lot of history of the who where when and why it came to be but it traces back to at least 1979. If you aren't a fan here's what the pun comes off of. Jedi characters in the Star Wars films would often wish each other well with the phrase "May the Force Be With You" and from that we get "May the 4th Be With You"
Super fan or new to the franchise, The Don Harrington Discovery Center is celebrating May 4th with a Star Wars themed party in which visitors can come dressed in costume and take advantage of a lot of cool activities celebrating the franchise that took place a long time ago in a galaxy far away which according to the DHDC include:
- Mingling with Stormtroopers and Darth Vader from Amarillo’s 501st Legion.
- A special edition book release at the event from Unknown Comic Books.
- Prepare to defeat the dark side by creating your own Mini Lightsaber.
- Make your own Jedi Putty – will you choose the molten lava slime from the planet Mustafar or create fluffy wampa slime?
- Visit Jawas shop to build Lego mosaics, 3D lightsabers and droids with Snapology!
- Document your time spent in a galaxy far far away with The Vault Gaming Center‘s 3D photo booth and complete your Jedi training with their interactive gaming.
- Learn how science is an important part of using the Force during special live demonstrations at 6:40 and 8:10 pm.
Now the idea of making your own light saber sounds pretty cool! If you want in, Admission is $8.00 ($5.00 for members) and can be purchased in person or at DHDC.org