Where Can You Find The Best BBQ In Amarillo?
Talking to some friends who live in Georgia the other day we got on the topic of traveling and they inform me that they were going to be coming to Texas in a few weeks and wanting to know where they could find and try Texas style BBQ. Which made me wonder Where can you find the best BBQ in Amarillo?
What is Texas style BBQ?
So Texas style BBQ is seasoned with a dry rub of just salt and pepper, cooked low and slow over hickory or mesquite wood and the sauce is for the side. The unique thing about Texas style BBQ is that 4 different styles of it east, west, central, and south.
- East - Low and slow cooked meat that often hits ‘fall off the bone’ types of consistency. Often characterized by sweet tomato-based sauces, and hickory wood.
- West - Unlike other approaches, West style is cooked over direct heat that’s similar to grilling. Often referred to as ‘cowboy style‘, it uses mesquite wood to give it a very pronounced and unique flavor.
- Central - Things are often kept simple by only using salt and black pepper for seasoning, and sauce is sometimes ignored altogether. Meat is smoked over mesquite, pecan or oak.
- South - Characterized by thick sauces layered on the meat to keep it moist long after cooking similar to barbacoa.
Places that are not Texas Style BBQ
Now this is not to knock their food but the food is either cooked with gas or cooked, frozen and heated back up in the microwave and needs sauce to make it taste better which is not Texas style BBQ.
- Dicky's Barbecue pit
- RibCrib BBQ
Places that have been to in awhile
So I'm going to be completely honest here the places I'm about to list I can't really say much about as it has been a few years since I last been there. But from what I can remember the food was super good.
- Dyer's Bar-B-Que
- Henk's Bar-B-Que
- Crazy Larry's Barbecue
- Doug's Hickory Pit Bar-B-Que
- Rudy's "Country Store" and Bar-B-Que
Now list the last 3 locations that I've been to recently.
Mitch's Texas Style BBQ
Now in my opinion I can't stand Mitch's BBQ I've been here twice and will never go back. The first time I went there the staff was super unfriendly talking to me with a attudie the whole time, not asking if i wanted to here or to go just shoveling it in a box making it a giant mess inside. The meat was tough and needed sauce to give it flavor and the mac and cheese tasted like it was made from a box.
I went back because I thought maybe it was just a off day for them and they needed a second chance so I went back a few weeks later. Nope I was wrong the staff was still very unfriendly, the meat was still tough and needed sauce, and the sides still tasted like it from a box.
Spicy Mike's Bar-B-Que Haven
Now this place is true Texas style BBQ. The meat was tender plenty of flavor no sauce was needed and the sides all tasted home made and the staff was super friendly. And is not expensive to eat at. Honestly this place has it all and you can't go wrong eating here.
This just like spicy mike's is true Texas style BBQ. The staff is super friendly, All the meat they serve is tender, the sides are super delicious (Tip go on Thursday when they serve their green chili mac and cheese) and is reasonably priced about $15 a plate depending on what you get. This is another place you can't go wrong eating at.